It’s the time of year that many people either look forward to or wish would wait until after summer. The
As per usual, there are three etudes for each instrument. Make sure you print out the correct part!
There is a Ballad, Funk, & Swing Etude for Alto, Tenor, & Baritone Saxophones.
The Chromatic Scale is also required from memory.
All Saxophones “48 Famous Studies for Oboe and Saxophone”, Ferling (pub. Southern Music Co.)
• Page 11, #22 in A Major; Allegro Moderato, quarter note = 116; m. 1 – 25
• Page 15, #29 in E Major; Andante Amabile, eighth note = 84-92; m. 1 – 16
Two Major Scales will be asked at random as well as the Chromatic Scale. Play them in straight eighth notes from memory. Remember: Accuracy is more
- Start slow to ensure the accuracy of notes and rhythms.
- Find recordings of the Etudes to get a good idea of what they should sound like.
- Ask for help from more advanced students or a private teacher.
- Set realistic goals (ex. start learning just one line per week).
- Write on your music (ex. accidentals and note names if needed).
- Record yourself.
- Reward yourself for meeting goals.
- Practice the Jazz Etudes with the
AccomanimentTracks AFTER you have them up to tempo.
Have fun practicing!